Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Bill Gates creeated a spel chek, so yous it!

I was at the doctor's office today. It wasn't my general practitioner, but rather one of these medical clinics. I have the Ebola virus, but don't worry for me...I'll be fine.

While waiting, I noticed four small posters taped to the walls throughout the office that read:

Caution
Wetfloor
Be
Carefull
Please

Do I really want to be treated by a doctor whose staff are careless and lazy? I can forgive such a sign if it were in Blagovescensk or Nay Pyi Taw or Ougadougou, or even Yokadouma, but in Vancouver such poor spelling is inexcusable.

While technology has unfortunately turned us into lazy and poor spellers, there is no excuse for not using one's computer program's spell check. A few seconds of time would have revealed the errors contained on this sign. But even worse, I suppose, is that no one in the office has any care to correct the offending signage.

Speaking of doctors, one of my inquisitive colleagues no longer asks me about my doctor's appointments, after she probed much further than she probably liked a few years ago. The conversation went something like this:

Colleague: So, why are you off tomorrow?

Me: Oh, I have a doctor's appointment

Colleague: What's the appointment for?

Me: Well, some doctor is going to shove a camera up my ass and take a look around. Wanna come take a look? Invite some friends, bring some popcorn, we can all watch my rectum and colon on the big TV monitor.

Now when I tell her I have a doctor's appointment, she never asks why.

No comments: