Sunday, October 7, 2012

Bald guys and swimming caps

Why is it that the Novotel hotel at Taipei International Airport insists on bald guys wearing a swimming cap? It's keeping me up at night. Actually, it’s probably the jet lag doing that. Ask my two kids. They’ll tell you that Daddy has no hair.

I was at this same hotel six months ago, and the indoor pool area is quite nice. Then, I just walked into the pool and started swimming. Above the din of my arms thrashing in the water, I could hear...”Mister. Mister. Excuse me mister.” I noticed someone in charge of the gym and pool holding a bathing cap and telling me I needed to wear one. Fortunately, he told me where it should go because on another trip to China I ended up putting disposable underwear on my head at the Sanya Marriott Spa, because I had no idea what it was for (you can read that story if you like laughing at someone's expense).
This time, knowing that I probably needed to wear a cap, I walked along the pool deck like a lost puppy unable to find where they were. Finally, I spotted a worker through the glass in the gym and patted my head. He walked briskly to the pool and showed me a table where they had about six caps to choose from. Most were coloured in a way that would make me look even more ridiculous than I was already about to, so I chose the black one.

If it’s about keeping hair out of the pool, the last thing I need is a cap on my head...it probably would have been better for them to have told me to wear a full body suit.
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's probably because they have a policy that everyone wears a swim cap. For sure, bald people don't need to wear one, but once they start bending rules, it's a slippery slope. Somebody with a brush cut will say, "Why not me?" If they let him in, then a person with longer hair will say, "What is the big deal?" Next thing you know you've got some big hippy's two foot long beard hairs floating in the pool.

Anonymous said...

By that logic then you shouldnt be allowed in the pool with a beard. Or any body hair for that matter.