Saturday, May 18, 2013

NY cabbie now knows China Airlines and Air China are different

The other day as my taxi was nearing New York's Kennedy Airport, the driver asked me what airline I was flying.

"China Airlines," I replied.

As we passed the large roadside signs displaying the various airlines and respective terminals they operate out of, I noted that China Airlines was at Terminal 4, so it was surprise when the driver pulled up to Terminal 1.

"I think we need Terminal 4," I offered.

"No, this is it," he responded assuredly and pointing to a sign that read, Air China.

"But I'm flying China Airlines..."

"Oh," he said sounding puzzled. He drove on, navigating the circuitous roadway that snaked around to Terminal 4, where he deposited me in front of a sign that read, China Airlines

China Airlines is Taiwan's largest airline and based in Taipei. (read more in a detailed article by this author), Air China by contrast is one of China's largest airlines and is based in Beijing. Still confused? Not to worry, just remember two different airlines. Now at your next cocktail party when the topic of global aviation comes up you'll sound enlightened. My gift to you.

Exhibit 1: This is a China Airlines Boeing 747-400 arriving at JFK two hours before transporting me to Osaka, Japan

Exhibit 2: An Air China Boeing 737 photographed on arrival at Osaka from seat 18A on the China Airlines aircraft pictured above


No comments: